Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Where's my "I Didn't Vote Today" Sticker?

No, I did not vote.  Nor did I vote early or anything equivalent to voting in today's election.  This is something that is uncharacteristic for me. I am typically a "If you didn't vote, don't complain" person.  However, this year I felt quite strongly to not vote.

First, I have lived in Texas/Iraq for the past 4 years, am registered to vote in North Carolina, but currently reside in Virginia.  I didn't have time to switch my voter registration to Virginia prior to the elections as this is a recent move, but I'm still not sure how I would've voted in VA if I could have.  I don't know what VA needs, what  VA doesn't need, and what ANY issues are here.  Next year, I will.  This year, I don't.

Second, I don't know what's going on in NC anymore either!  I haven't lived there for 4 years!  My dad tried to strong-arm me into voting back at home.  (I don't feel bad mentioning this, because it did actually happen, and I don't think he reads my blog...evident by the non comment to my heartfelt thank you to him yesterday haha.  Love you dad.)  Upon this attempted strong-arm session from my dad, I told him I am uneducated on the situation and the candidates, AND whatever is voted on in NC has no bearing on me because I don't live there anymore.  He told me I was stupid and he can just tell me how to vote.  I understand, because he is passionate about politics, but I will not vote to be just an extra vote for ANYONE.  You know why?  Because my parents raised me better than that.  Backfire, Pops.

Third, my feelings are somewhat hurt by politics and politicians.  I haven't heard anything come out of anyone's mouth that is important to me.  I will direct this completely towards National level politics/politicians.  Nobody has inspired me to vote in quite sometime, and I'm only 26.  For those of you who are thinking that maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to politics, you are wrong.  I am well versed.  I am confident saying I am more well versed in politics than 98% of anyone who would read my blog.  So why exactly does this hurt my feelings?  Because I used to have such faith in politics and the system.  I believed that these people can affect change in the best ways possible, but it's mostly empty promises.  It's not all the politician's fault though; you can't really be a successful politician without selling out.  All you hear is these angry "news" shows talking about special interests and lobbyists and contributions and blah blah blah.  It's truly unnerving.  What I want to know is, where are people that support my special interests?  Where are the people that make me proud to have them as a face of my state or my country?  Where are the people that make me feel taken care of?  Vanished.

When I look back at this rant of mine, I have to ask myself, what are my special interests and who exactly would inspire me again?  I don't know the exact person, but I know what I would want them to be like.  First though, my special interests.  Everyone has them, you should.  You need to know what you stand for.  What do I stand for?  Christianity first and foremost.  I would love to see an uber Christian in charge...of everything at every level.  I'm not saying I hate other religions, I'm a Christian, we preach love.  I'm also not saying that whoever is in charge isn't a Christian, I don't know what's in anyone's heart.  But I will tell you, that if you are a Christian, and you're not praying for whoever is in charge because you don't like them, you are 100% wrong.  Big time.  Anywho, I just want someone that promotes Christianity and the preservation of it.  Next, National Defense.  Capitalized.  This is a big deal people.  If you don't think it's a big deal, you don't know the things I know.  It's not that you couldn't know these things, go to the library, people.  It's all there.  Read books, credible news sources, pay attention to what is going on, and you will realize how important it is.  If you need a heads up, email me and we'll talk it out.

And now to the person that would, indeed, inspire me.  WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GREAT MILITARY LEADERS RUNNING FOR OFFICE?  Remember them?  I don't, it was before my time.  What happened to these amazing Generals with amazing, strategic minds, that have lived through wars and know what is important in life, and to America?  I want them back.  John McCain, bless your heart, but you are not what I had in mind.  These guys are connected to Washington, because they have to be, but their allegiances lie in protecting America, and the American way of life.  That's what I want, and what I need to believe in all this again.  Of course, a President can surround themselves with great military leaders, but that's not good enough for me.  And, I don't think it's happening.  Gen McChrystal got canned.  He was a great leader, but he spoke out against the President and some policies (technically, it was his staff that spoke out.)  Anyone who has been in the military knows that you do not disrespect superior Commissioned Officers, it's a no-no.  But, if we're following the Uniform Code of Military Justice theme here, If McChrystal was fired, Bill Clinton should have been prosecuted under UCMJ for lying under oath...False Official Statements...Capitalized.   But that's neither here nor there, I'm just saying.  Gen. Patraeus? Give me a break.  I believe he is highly capable, and probably one of the smartest men on this Earth, but he needs a break.  This poor man hasn't spent any measure of time with his family in at least 9 years, and now he's been put in a position that will possibly ruin his great legacy that he deserves.  Pray for him, please.  Pray for them all.

I've rambled horribly, but today has been weird for me.  Not voting was tough for me, because I've been told my whole life TO vote.  But I have realized, that I, a US Army Veteran, have earned my right to vote for whomever I want, or not vote at all in this case, without being made to feel bad about it, even by me.  I'll vote again, I know I will, when there is someone to vote for.  I'll start praying for them now.  They'll need it.

8 comments:

  1. Do you think Gen Patraeus has an ako email? I think you should email this to him, I think he'd like it. And I love you mucho lady.... will I ever see you again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can school me on politics anytime I do need an ed-u-mi-cation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to your blogs everyday...please dont stop writing ( I know I am a dork and have no life, lol) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love these posts, keep it up cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody can ever say you're short on words. Really dig the blog so far, Karen. Keep it up!

    I feel guilty, because I'm under the same general impression as you, I haven't felt inspired for awhile and just feel discouraged at times. Kick myself for that, because inspiration is a scary thing in today's political environment in my opinion -- too much of it depends on image. The political mudslinging leaves such a bad taste in my mouth, "look at what this candidate hasn't done and how horrible the economy is under his time in office", "oh yeah?! well listen to this... * sound bite intentionally removed from proper context*" I don't think one legitimate issue was

    Tens of millions of dollars spent on campaign ads and what do I really know about them: Nothing. No excuse for my own ignorance, but it shouldn't be so difficult to educate yourself about the issues. I spent more time educating myself on historical political issues than current ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara, of course we will see each other again. We're in love, aren't we? :) I hope Gen P. would like it. Don't you always feel bad for him? He needs a nap. He's done/seen too much. Baby Momma - you know good and well you don't need any schooling. You were MY boss for crying out loud. Lauren and Matthew - Thanks so much for the encouragement:) It's nice to know people are reading! And Bradford, me and you could talk for hours. Miss you and love you bro

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitly dont know as much as you do about politics but i feel the same about it all, i feel like the world is falling down around us sometimes :( but i guess all we can do is pray at this point.

    ReplyDelete