Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Work In Progress

Hello! This is my first official post on my first official blog.  How exciting!  I will tell you though, I'm not sure if I'm 100% "in" with this blog yet.  First, let me tell you why I'm starting a blog.  I am great at many things, but sleeping is not one of them.  I adore sleep, I do, but my brain goes into overdrive when I lay down at night.  I feel as though I understand things more clearly, I think of more problems to solve, think of things I forgot to do, think of things I should have said, etc.  Therefore, I have had many a sleepless night.  I believe I have always been this way, I just didn't have as much to think about when I was younger.  So, a blog might help me get all my thoughts out, what has annoyed me, what I regret, what was funny, all my daily occurrences are now your problems too, I guess.  You're actually doing a civil service by reading my blog.  Why?  Because my dear husband needs someone to share the wealth with.  Daily, I get off work, get in the car, and call my husband.  Poor thing, he gets a rather detailed version of my life in the 10 hours I was at work.  He never complains.  He is a better person than me.  I would've told me to shut up now.  I would love for him to keep a tally of how many times in a week I say to him, "I was just thinking..." Hence the blog name.  So, reason #1, I need more sleep.  Reason #2, I don't want to drive my husband crazy.  Reason #3, and this one is a bit more personal and slightly embarrassing for me to talk about, I have severe anxiety at times.  Not just anxious tendencies, but, severe diagnosed anxiety.  In past attempts to move past this anxiety I have been told I need to keep a diary.  I've tried, but it's not effective.  I have so much to get out that I can't write fast enough.....frustration....hand hurts...quit writing...no sleep.  Typing is MUCH easier on me.  And, I actually think feedback would help me more than writing in a pre-teen era diary and shoving it under my bed at night.  Talk about feeling ridiculous.  So, with inspiration from a sweet friend that recently started a blog, I googled "how to blog," and here we are.  So what exactly is the work in progress you ask?  This blog, the title (I'm not sold on it, open to suggestions), and me.  I think we're all a work in progress though, right?  So, over time, maybe you'll get to know me, or get to know me better than you do already, while I get over myself.  

6 comments:

  1. I love the new blog fancy! I think its a great way to let your friends and family in.
    p.s you still have to call me on the way home from work and tell me about your day.
    Love you babe

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, love it! I also like the title idea but you're right, might be a bit long so let me think on it and let you know if I come up with anything. Titles are tough! My first blog title that I wanted was taken :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay i always love what you have to say, you always entertain me lol and i love the title i think it is straight to point and clear on what your blog is about! if you ever need to talk rather than type, remember i dont sleep much either always feel free to call! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, this is excellent. You're such a good writer--I feel as though I'm actually having a conversation with you when I read these posts. I also empathize greatly with your sleepless nights and tendency to go into overdrive with a need to analyze/over-think EVERYTHING. I sadly have similar tendencies and have often wondered how to deal. Singing lessons to take my mind off of things? Exercise (sike, that lasts for like a good 3 mins)...Venting to Jordan ALL THE TIME--as you said about Ryan, poor thing... I've yet to find my "thing" but I do hope that this blog is yours. I think it's a wonderful idea (perfect, actually), and I can't wait to hear about your days at work and ways to fix the world's problems. Love you, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! Ryan, you know I can't go a day without calling you right when I get to my phone :) Thanks for the encouragement Khara and Rachel. Kosha, I know we are similar in the over-thinking aspect. And yes, I hope this is my thing...but if it's not, we can both try illegal drugs. I hear it's all the rage. Just kidding, mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I just read this and love you a bit more Karen dear. Buuuut, there is nothing wrong with a diary, it's just called a journal when your older. I love them because it's fun to read them years later. As a matter of fact I just went through a journal from six years ago and read about "the man who got away!" you actually know who he is too. One night he sang to me at dinner and I fell in love, he name is Bruno Mars! But I keep a journal now so when the kids grow up they can read them and find out what I was like when I wasn't just their uncool mother.
    I am quite excited to keep reading. Now I can know what's going on in your life without having to wait FOREVER to hear from you :) Love you and miss you lady

    ReplyDelete